Friday, February 28, 2014

February 4, 2014, Raining Like Crazy


Holy cow, my email time is going quickly today.  I hope I have enough time to write this email and read everyone's emails. 

Sister Mahit left on Friday.  Our last week together wasn't really the best because she wanted to visit a lot of people to say goodbye, so I kind of felt like the dog following her around.  We didn't get as much work done last week.  I had about 24 hours from when Sister Mahit left until Sister Tafili came, so I worked with a member.  Her name is Sister Ned and she's my same age.  She served her mission in New Zealand, and she just got back to Ebeye in November.  She was a lot of fun to work with, especially because she knows a lot of the people here and she could show me where less actives live.  On Saturday Sister Tafili came, along with two new elders straight from the MTC, the APs, and the Weirs.  The APs and the Weirs were just here for the weekend, and they left yesterday.  It was nice to see them all. 

We had a baptism on Saturday evening and our investigator named Alice got baptized.  That was really nice.  The sky was really pretty that evening.  I'll send a photo.

We heard that all of us missionaries in Ebeye might be able to go on a day trip on another island in this atoll on someone's boat sometime.  I'm so excited.  I hope it happens.  Supposedly we've gotten permission from president, but we have to double check.  I think it's a member's boat.

Sister Tafili and I have had a little bit of a rough time the last couple of days because our investigators don't really know us.  We had a million appts yesterday, but all of them fell through because no one wanted to study.  But we also got a lot of referrals from members.  The members are great.  Everyone wants to help.  Sister Tafili's only been in the islands for about 2.5 months, so she doesn't know a lot of Marshallese.  I have to take the lead in lessons and basically most talking situations, but it's good.  It's better than being a dog following the other companion around.  So not fun.  I'm a lot happier working with Sister Tafili.

Last night, after our second FHE had fallen through, Sister Tafili and I went to the Livai's house.  We sat outside and talked to Brother and Sister Livai for a long time.  It was so nice to just sit and talk with them.  They are a great family.  The members are so willing to help. 

A big ship came yesterday, meaning we're going to have some better produce in the grocery store this week!  The ship was huge.  I don't know how large the really big ships are, so I don't have much to compare it to, but this thing seemed huge.  It had two big cranes on it that lifted those big truck boxes off of it.  I meant to get a photo of it, but I needed to charge my camera.  I'll try to get a photo when it comes again in a month or two.  We saw a ferry come up to the little dock while the ship was there, and the ferry looked like a mosquito in comparison to this thing. 

Everyone loves peanut M&Ms here.  They call them "m m" and there aren't the regular M&Ms here.  Only "yellow"  (referring to the color of the packaging). 

Leans, I did hear about the guy that's been floating around in the ocean for the last 16 months and ended up in the marshall islands.  I heard he drank turtle blood to stay alive.  He ended up on Ebon atoll, which is the farthest south.  That's so crazy.  There are two elders on Ebon.  I wonder if they met the guy.  The outer islands do not have many people on them. 

It's raining like crazy right now, which is not like Ebeye.  Our water has been on most of this week, so that's been nice.  Except none on Sunday morning, so we were a big smelly at church. 

I'm really enjoying Ebeye.  Next P day we're planning on borrowing bikes from members and riding out to Gue Gee Gue.  It's an island a few islands just north of Ebeye, and somehow they're connected by a road.  We should be able to find some coconuts out there.  The Ebeye high school is out on Gue Gee Gue (pronounced like "goo chi goo."  I don't know when we'll email, but I for sure will at some point.

I don't have much to tell about this week.  It's was good.  We had a couple of firesides Sunday night when the Weirs and APs were here.  They're always traveling, so they were only here for a couple of days. 

I miss you all.  Thanks for the emails and letters. 

Sister Ellen Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment